Measuring technical, allocative and economic efficiencies of dairy farms in western Turkey

Terin M., KULEKCI M., Yıldırım İ.

INDIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL RESEARCH, vol.51, no.1, pp.165-169, 2017 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 51 Issue: 1
  • Publication Date: 2017
  • Doi Number: 10.18805/ijar.9294
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.165-169
  • Keywords: Dairy farms, Data envelopment analysis, Efficiency, Survey, DATA ENVELOPMENT ANALYSIS, MODELS
  • Van Yüzüncü Yıl University Affiliated: Yes


A study was conducted to determine the input efficiencies of 43 dairy cattle farms under the aegis of Agricultural Development Cooperative in Erikler Village of Center Town of Kirklareli Province in Western Turkey. Data envelopment analysis wasused. The technical, allocative and economical efficiencies were found to be as 0.66, 0.43 and 0.23 respectively. Theanalysis results showed that only 23.26% of the farms were efficient (they had constant return to scale) regarding the usageof major inputs while the remaining 76.74% had increasing return to scale, indicating that these farms could maintain thecurrent output with decreasing current inputs. The current output (gross production value) per cow could be maintained bysaving 46.56, 46.72, 42.96, and 45.20% dry weed (kg), straw (kg), concentrated feed (kg), and labour (hour), respectivelyalong with 39.82% veterinary and 46.73% the other expenses.