First investigation on vectorial potential of Blattella germanica in Turkey

Oğuz B., Özdal N., ORUNC KILINC O., Değer M. S.

ANKARA UNIVERSITESI VETERINER FAKULTESI DERGISI, vol.64, no.2, pp.141-144, 2017 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 64 Issue: 2
  • Publication Date: 2017
  • Doi Number: 10.1501/vetfak_0000002789
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, TR DİZİN (ULAKBİM)
  • Page Numbers: pp.141-144
  • Keywords: Blattella germanica, human parasites, mechanical vector, INTESTINAL PARASITES, COCKROACHES, PREVALENCE, BACTERIA, CARRIERS
  • Van Yüzüncü Yıl University Affiliated: Yes


Cockroaches are claimed to be mechanical vectors of microorganisms such as intestinal parasites, bacteria, fungi, and viruses. This study was conducted to determine the potential role of cockroaches as carriers of parasites having medical importance in Van province, Turkey. One hundred and thirty-eight cockroaches were collected from different parts of apartments and houses between March and April 2014. All of the collected cockroaches were identified as Blatella germanica. They were examined for isolation and identification of intestinal parasites from external surface. The results showed that 66 (48%) of the cockroaches harbored parasitic organisms. Of these, 96.6% were protozoon and the remaining 3.4% were helminthes. Isolated helminth, species were Toxocara sp. (3%), Ascaris lumbricoides (3%), Trichostrongylus sp. (1.5%), Trichuris trichiura (1.5%) and unidentified nematode egg samples (3%). The protozoon identified during the study were Endolimax nana (7.6%), Blastocystis hominis (41%), Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar (16.7%), unsporulated coccidial oocyst (7.6%), Chilomastix mesnilli (4.5%), Entamoeba coli (35%), Giardia sp. (13.6%) and Iodamoeba butschlii (7.6%). In conclusion, Blattella germanica was found to harbor intestinal parasites of public health importance. Hence, awareness on the potential role of cockroaches in the mechanical transmission of intestinal parasites needs to be further investigated. Control of cockroaches will substantially minimize the spread of diseases caused by helminths and protozoons in our environment.