The incidence of pain in the temporomandibular joint, head-neck region and face-ear region before and during menstrual period: a pilot study


Creative Commons License

Eroğlu C. N. , Keskin Tunç S. , Elasan S.

Atatürk Üniversitesi Diş Hekimliği Fakültesi Dergisi, vol.28, no.2, pp.157-161, 2018 (National Refreed University Journal)

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 28 Issue: 2
  • Publication Date: 2018
  • Doi Number: 10.17567/ataunidfd.418795
  • Title of Journal : Atatürk Üniversitesi Diş Hekimliği Fakültesi Dergisi
  • Page Numbers: pp.157-161

Abstract

Aim: It is defended that pain sensation changes during menstrual period due to decreased estrogen level. The present study aimed to investigate the incidence of pain in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), head-neck region and face-ear region before and during menstrual period.

Materials and Methods: Female subjects with regular and problem-free menstrual period were enrolled in the study. Patients were grouped as the women who were in the menstrual period and the women who were not. All patients completed RDC / TMD (Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporoman- dibular Disorder) questionnaire form for the symptoms of TMJ disorders. In addition, presence of pain in the TMJ, head-neck region and face-ear region was also assessed.

 

 

Results: There was no statistically significant difference between the groups. Half of (50%) overall patients reported pain in a single region. TMJ pain was present in 23.5% of the patients. Of the patients having TMJ pain, 73.5% were not in the menstrual period.

Conclusion: Women usually suffer from head-neck pain during menstrual period but from TMJ pain before menstrual period.

Keywords: Menstruation, temporomandibular joint, head-neck, face, ear, pain.

Amaç: Kadınlarda menstrual dönemde östrojen seviyesinin düşmesine bağlı olarak ağrı hassasiyetinde değişimler olduğu savunulmaktadır. Bu çalışmada menstrual dönemi ve öncesinde temporomandibular eklem (TME), baş-boyun, yüz-kulak ağrılarının görülme sıklığının araştırılması amaçlanmıştır.

Gereç ve Yöntem: Menstrual periotları sorunsuz ve düzenli olan kadın bireyler çalışmaya dahil edildi. Hastalar, menstrual dönemde olan ve olmayan olarak iki gruba ayrıldı. Tüm hastalara TME hastalıkları için TMR/ATK (Temporomandibular Rahatsızlık/ Araştırma Teşhis Kriterleri) muayene anket formu uygulandı. Ek olarak TME, yüz-kulak, baş-boyun bölgesinde ağrı varlığı değerlendirildi.

Bulgular: Gruplar arasında istatistiksel olarak anlamlı bir farklılık bulunmadı. Tüm hastaların % 50’si tek bölge ağrısı bildirmişlerdir. Hastaların % 23.5’inde TME ağrısı mevcuttur. TME şikayeti bulunan hastaların % 73.5’i menstrual dönemde değildir. 

Sonuç: Kadınlar menstruasyon döneminde daha çok baş-boyun ağrılarından, menstrual dönem öncesinde TME ağrılarından etkilenmektedirler.

Anahtar Kelimeler:

Menstruasyon, Tempromandibular eklem, baş boyun, yüz, kulak, ağrı